New research indicates that video game addiction is a real thing! On a recent episode of the Digital Parent Podcast, Dr. David Greenfield discussed video game addiction with teens and athletes. On this episode we wanted to do a deep dive into video game addiction.
Child Psychiatrist Dr. Clifford Sussman joins the show to discuss video game addiction and some of the consequences he sees in his practice. Dr. Sussman and I discussed options for treatment and how parents can afford to pay for treatment.
Dr. Sussman is on the volunteer faculty at GWU medical school, where he serves as a Clinical Instructor in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences. He has presented to parents, students, staff, and clients on multiple topics including Digital Technology Addiction, parenting and mentoring adoptive and foster children, psychopharmacology, psychotherapy, ADHD, and Autism.
He has been on multiple expert panels discussing digital technology addiction with various schools around the region and is planning multiple presentations on this topic for the 2017 annual AACAP meeting in Washington, DC. He is currently developing an animated series of youtube videos to provide psychoeducation on digital technology addiction.
On this episode Dr. Sussman and I discussed the following topics.
Some Questions I Asked Dr. Sussman About Video Game Addiction:
- How Can Parents Tell If Their Child Is Addicted to Video Games?
- What are Some of The Signs of Video Addiction?
- Is There Evidence of Social Anxiety with Gamers?
- Can VR Games and Equipment Increase Vide0 Game Addiction
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- How Withdrawl From Video Games Cause Aggression
- How to Access Therapy Through Insurance Companies
- Video Games are Safe Havens for Youth to Socialize
- How the Porn Industry uses Video Games to Target Kids
- Why Taking Away Games Don’t Work for Video Game Addicts
How to Contact Dr. Clifford Sussman
Facebook: Clifford Sussman Md
Youtube: Dr. Clifford Sussman