There have been recent tragedies of girls murdering each other and being out right mean on social media. Nancy Jo Sales stopped by the Digital Parent Podcast to discuss her research on the secret online lives of teen girls and how their behavior plays out in the community.
Nancy Jo Sales is an award winning journalist and author that has written for publications such as Vanity Fair, New York, Harper’s Bazar and many more. She specializes in reporting on youth culture and pop culture icons. Nancy’s book, American Girls The Secret Lives of Teenagers, covered the lives of over 200 teenage girls across 10 states over 30 months. Nancy interviewed teen girls across all socioeconomic backgrounds. Nancy discovered issues of peer pressure, depression, acceptance, etc.
On this episode of the Digital Parent Podcast, Nancy and I covers the issue of sexualization of young girls on social media and mainstream media. Nancy and I discuss this secretive or second world that teenage girls exist. We discussed some of the following topics:
ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos
Questions I Asked Nancy About Teenage Girls:
- Does Teen Culture Drive Harassment Online Instead of Technology?
- How do Teen Boys Use Picture or Images as Commodity for Nudes?
- Why Do Teen Girls Use Sexualized Pictures on Instagram to Become Famous?
- Are Teen Girls Seeking Internet Fame Through Fight Videos?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Why 52% of Girls Who Have Been on “Slut Pages” Contemplate Suicide
- How Sexualization of Girls is Expressed on Social Media
- Why Nude Pictures Become a Commodity for Boys
- How Teens Access Porn on Tumblr
- Why Girls Focus on Becoming Instafamous on Social Media
- How Reality Shows like Badgirls Club and Real Housewives Teach Girls to Behave
Buy Nancy’s Book American Girls:
— Nancy Jo Sales (@nancyjosales) June 21, 2016
— Nancy Jo Sales (@nancyjosales) April 16, 2016
Nancy’s Infograph on Teenage Girls
How to Contact Nancy
Facebook: Nancy Jo Sales
mSpy– Top Monitoring software on the market! Monitor all of the hottest teens apps such as Tinder, Snapchat, Kik, WhatsApp, Instagram, and many more.
KidsEmail– email client designed for kids! Multiple features and beautiful themes for teens to pick from for their email. type in Promo Code: Digital Parent to get Free 90 Day Trial.