It has now become a fact that kids receive tremendous health benefits when they ditch their electronic devices and play outside with nature. Scientific studies have proven that our digital natives are suffering from diabetes, depression, obesity, and ADHD. All of these health issues stem from to much screen time indoors.
In order to get kids to play outside more, I reached out to my friend Diana Graber to join the Digital Parent Podcast. Diana is a recognized expert on digital literacy. She writes for, is interviewed by, and appears often in the press on topics related to how technology impacts human behavior.
Graber has a B.A. in Communications Studies from UCLA, an M.A. in Media Psychology & Social Change from Fielding Graduate University/UCLA. Her Cyber Civics program was recently recognized as an “Innovation in Education” finalist by Project Tomorrow and the O.C. Tech Alliance and is now being taught at schools in 20 states and internationally.
Diana and I discussed some of the following questions on the episode:
Questions I Asked Diana on Outdoor Digital Citizens:
- How Can Kids Become Great Digital Citizens Outdoors
- What Are Some Constructive Ways for Kids to Use Technology Outdoors
- Describe Some Ways Parents Can Set Good Boundaries Online
- How Do We Prepare Kids for Summer Camps
- Should Kids Leave Their Devices at The Hotel During Vacation
In this Episode, You Will Learn:
- Why Teens Should Develop Social and Emotional Skills Outdoors Without Tech
- Top Reason Kids Look For Parents for Guidance
- How Kids Model Parents Online Behavior
- Why Having Cellphone at Summer Camp Hurts Their Development
- The Reason Teens Look Up Their Parent’s Health Online
Suggested Reading Articles from Dana on Digital Citizenship Outdoors
Contact Diana Graber
Get The Free Ebook
Learn How Emojis can Get Your Child in a World of Trouble